Enerchain Local is a blockchain based solution that enables P2P trading of electricity between prosumers. The technology of Enerchain Local builds on the OTC market platform which PONTON developed within the Enerchain project together with 44 leading European energy trading companies. Enerchain Local is a lightweight, access-restricted blockchain infrastructure that allows for different use cases in the context of decentralized P2P trading between end customers. Enerchain Local has the following key characteristics:
- End customer focus – Individual preferences of end customers (e.g. price limits, preferred generation technology, regionality, etc.) can be defined via an app or browser application (1) and form the basis for a fully automated allocation process
- Easy integration – The use of real generation and load profiles is enabled by an interface to existing meter data management systems. Alternatively standard load profiles can be used (2)
- Data protection – Through an innovative obfuscation of the metering point IDs, a GDPR-compliant P2P trading can be realized (3)
- Individual trading logic – The core of of the P2P trading application is an individual allocation algorithms (4)
- Billing preparation – P2P traded electricity volumes are aggregated and made available to existing billing systems (5)
- Customer-Oriented Visualizations – Using an app or browser application, the traded (purchased / delivered) amounts of electricity can be viewed (6)
Potential Use Case: Regional Power
With Enerchain Local, an energy supplier can guarantee its customers the origin of the delivered energy in a tamper-proof and transparent way – without a certification body. This enables the representation of the exact origin (at postal code or plant level).
Benefits for utilities
- Customer loyalty through innovative electricity products (e.g. the electricity customer can manage his preferences for power demand / supply as he likes).
- Repositioning as energy partner including delivery of residual power.
- New business models – the pure retail delivery of kilowatt-hours becomes less interesting, while customer-centered services are getting more and more important.
- Product diversification – the homogenous product “electricity” is no longer sold as a commodity, but can be emotionally charged and sold on more attractive terms.
Benefits for participants
- The participant can exactly understand where his energy comes from and influence their supply according to his individual preferences.
- Consumer: Potentially lower purchase cost e.g. Germany offers tax reductions for regionally produced and consumed power (<2MW; <4.5km, not EEG-funded, according to §9 StromStG).
- Producer: Potentially higher revenues, e.g. through higher willingness of consumer to pay for sustainable, regional power.
For more information about Enerchain Local contact enerchain(at)ponton.de